Summertime is upon us! ‘Tis the season for swimming, sun, grilling and vacations. It’s also the time of year that most of our growth ministries at ACC take a break for a few months before starting back up in September. But that doesn’t mean our spiritual growth should stall out for three months. Here’s three ideas for how you can keep growing deeper in your walk with Christ this summer:
- Read a book. Maybe it’s a theology book, or a book on a specific area of the Christian life. Spend some time on your patio or in your recliner with a [coffee, iced tea, beverage of choice] in your hand and dig through a chapter at a time. Or if you’re not the reading type, download an audiobook and listen to it in the car or on your phone. I’ve been reading a book by Tim Keller called Prayer: Experiencing Awe & Intimacy With God because I really want to grow in my prayer life!
- Start a Bible reading plan on YouVersion. You are on YouVersion, right? It’s a free Bible app for your phone or tablet. It has literally hundreds of different plans to follow, whether you want to read thru the Bible in a year or just do a practical study on a specific topic. I just started a 21 day study called Just For Dads: Be A Positive Christian Role Model. I’ve found that if I’m not tracking with a reading plan, I’m much less likely to be in God’s Word consistently.
- Listen to music. It’s amazing how much great music is out there today that will help draw your focus to God and stir your heart to worship. Grab some new music for that road trip you’re planning or to keep you motivated while you’re out for a jog. Here’s a few new albums I’ve been listening to recently:
- Hillsong United: Empires [Spotify | iTunes]
- Lauren Daigle: How Can It Be [Spotify | iTunes]
- Jon Guerra: Little Songs [Spotify | iTunes]
I hope you can implement at least one of these ideas to keep growing in your walk with Christ this summer. Feel free to leave a comment below if you have other ideas to share!