In honor of my 10 year anniversary as an ACC staff member, here are 10 things that I love about ACC
In no particular order…
- Our staff team. Such a great group of gifted people who love God and love our church. We have the amazing blessing of having a lot of history together as many of us have been around for a long time.
- Our Elders. One of the reasons for such longevity of staff is our outstanding Elder team. These men care deeply about our church, take care of our staff, and lead our church in a way that honors God. So thankful for this group of Godly men.
- Our people. In the role of pastor, work and social life are inherently intertwined. I’ve always said that a pastor should want to attend the church he serves at even if he wasn’t on staff. That’s never been a problem for me. I’ve developed so many quality friendships here at ACC.
- The variety of things I get to do. I’m a Youth Pastor at heart, but I so enjoy the opportunities I have to be involved in other areas in our church. Children’s ministry – we have a great team of adults who love Jesus and love kids. I enjoy working with them and getting to know the children of our church. Teaching ministry – love the opportunity to work with Pastor Dave on teaching series and fill in on Sunday mornings (more on this one in the next point). Helping people get plugged into serving opportunities – love getting to know people, their interests and abilities and helping them find the right place for them to contribute to our community.
- The opportunity to teach. I’m a teacher, have been as long as I can remember. It’s the way God wired me. I love the opportunity to teach at our youth ministries each week and the times I get to teach in “Big Peoples” church on Sunday mornings.
- Spending time with students. I have SO much fun with our middle school and high school students. Youth ministry is a challenging gig for sure, but it’s super rewarding. The conversations I get to have with students, the chance to walk with them in some of the most difficult years of their lives, and the joy I experience as I see signs of spiritual growth in their lives…it doesn’t get any better than that!
- Creativity. We look, feel, and operate, like a church with a much large budget and staff team. We have many talented people who volunteer their time and energy to make ACC a better place and our staff are committed to excellence – doing the best we can with what we’ve been given.
- That my kids are cared for. This is something that wasn’t even on my radar 10 years ago. The fact that my 3 kids LOVE being at church is huge! They feel at home here and are cared for and ministered to by so many.
- The generosity of our people. From baby shower gifts, to pastor appreciation gifts, to “God laid it on my heart to give this to you” gifts, we have been so blessed by the generosity of ACC.
- That we have a shower. :). I’m serious! As a triathlete and distance runner, I spend a lot of time working out. I’ll often squeeze a run in before youth group, during my lunch hour, or on a Sunday morning before church. Having a shower here allows me to fit in the training I need to do and not be stinky for the ministry that I need to do.